Thursday, November 19, 2009

Park Avenue Calling


I like to think that I am down to earth and reasonable. That I am the kind of person who aspires to be comfortable and content, that I don’t want or need the biggest house on the most prestigious block, or the fanciest car, or even artwork that hasn’t been purchased from http://www.posters.com/. And on most days I am that person. But then there are days like yesterday. It started out like any other trip to view a new building. In fact, I was not planning on being overly impressed when I visited 1055 Park Avenue http://www.1055park.com/. Sure it’s a Park Avenue address located perfectly in the 80’s. But so what? I’ve been to lots of luxury buildings and previewed more than my share of ultra luxury homes. But when I got there, I realized that 1055 Park Avenue was something else entirely.
To start with, the entire building is only 20 feet wide. Yup, you heard me – 20 feet. It’s approximately the width of a townhome - except that its 12 stories high. The narrow footprint of the building, along with a loophole in historic zoning allowed it to be the only curtain wall building (floor to ceiling glass) on Park Avenue north of 60th street resulting in a building that is elegantly magnificent. To read more about the architecture check out http://therealdeal.com/newyork/articles/1055-park-avenue-designed-with-real-inspiration-kohn-pedersen-fox-davis-development-holdings-costas-kondylis-985-park-avenue.
Inside the building there are just 5 homes, one of which is a gorgeous model. It’s a duplex, with a living room and master bedroom that look out on Park Avenue, 3 bedrooms and a maid’s room, a kitchen that made my mouth water, and enough bells and whistles to make Inspector Gadget grin. Want a projector and screen that come down from the ceiling of your bedroom? Check. How about a built in espresso machine, two ovens, two warming drawers, and a sub zero? Check. Tired of having a counter littered with small appliances? Not to worry, at 1055 there is an appliance garage for you to hide them away. Oh, and did I mention the floating glass staircase?
I’m not going to lie. Standing in 1055, gazing out the double height windows while caressing the sleek and shiny polished countertops made practical, reasonable, down to earth Andrea disappear. Right then and there, I wanted to sign the paperwork, get my keys, and move right in. Luckily, or maybe unfortunately, homes at 1055 Park Avenue start at a little over $9,000,000. As I put on my coat, took the private elevator back to the lobby, and stepped out into the balmy fall weather practical Andrea returned eschewing a cab in favor of the more cost effective alternative of the subway.

No comments:

Post a Comment